The Beverly Rogers, Carol C. Harter Black Mountain Institute (BMI), home to The Believer, is an international literary center dedicated to bringing writers and the literary imagination into the heart of public life. BMI is a unit within the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
The Believer is a literature, arts, and culture magazine and National Magazine Award finalist. In each issue, readers will find journalism, essays, intimate interviews, an expansive comics section, poetry, and on occasion, delightful and unexpected bonus items.
The Shearing Fellowship is for emerging and distinguished writers who have published at least one book with a trade or literary press, it includes:
- a stipend of $20,000 paid over a four-month period;
- a semester-long letter of appointment;
- eligibility for optional health coverage;
- office space in the BMI offices on the campus of UNLV;
- free housing (fellows cover some utilities) in a unique and vibrant arts complex in the bustling district of downtown Las Vegas—home to The Writer’s Block, our city’s beloved independent bookstore; and
- recognition in BMI’s literature, and on The Believer’s masthead, as a “Shearing Fellow.”
While there are no formal teaching requirements, this is a “working fellowship” located in Las Vegas. BMI’s visiting fellows will maintain an in-office presence around 10 hours a week, along with 10 hours of service to the community. In addition to the primary goal of furthering one’s own writing during their term in Las Vegas, visiting fellows are expected to engage in a substantial way with BMI’s community, in a way custom-scoped based on their skills and personal interest. Upon acceptance into the program, each fellow will craft a work plan in partnership with BMIthat is meaningful to all involved parties. Here are some examples of activities a visiting fellow could pursue:
- Offer readings, craft talks, and other public presentations to the readers and writers of UNLV and Southern Nevada.
- Curate an event or program, leveraging the fellows’ professional and creative networks.
- Contribute original work to The Believer (i.e., a column or feature essay, or occasional work such as lists).
- Provide editorial support to The Believer (edit essays, conduct an interview, consult on editorial conversations).
- Occasionally assist with institute and magazine’s social media promotion and campaigns.